Monday 30 April 2018

30/4/18 - Random Monthly Post: Slice Of Life?

Hello! As today is the last day of April ((where on earth has the time gone)), I am going to share, yet another, random post about something without a set theme. This month was the first cycle of the NaNoWriMo series in 2018 and I was eager to participate. More can be found out about that over here! However! I will not be talking about my experience. Instead, I wish to talk about my motivator if you will.

Now, I can hear you all asking me now, "what WAS the motivator?". So I'll tell you now, plain and simple.
What motivated me to write the piece in which I did for Camp NaNoWriMo April 2018, was the genre of the piece itself. And what was that genre? Slice of Life.

Slice of Life is a genre I actively indulge in. I hope one day, to write compelling pieces of realism that depict the trials and tribulations of a normal life. I want to write how amazing experiences feel when you are engrossed in the moment as it comes. And so, I sought to write a Slice of Life piece about a character, Rio, as he went to university.

Anyone who has taken a look at my writing prompts which derived from my experiences as a university student myself, will admit that being a student has the potential to provoke many interesting stories. I wished to work with these ideas and experiences, honing them to craft an authentic enough sounding narrative for Rio, a Fresher at the University of York.

But why Slice of Life? As a genre fiction writer, surely you'd be more invested in complicated plots that come from space operas and fantasies.

Indeed I am, but at the same time; there are many things that a person experiences in their daily life that are just so wonderful. Sometimes it takes seeing the world through the eyes of another person to make you understand that.

Albeit, my most complicated pieces are usually genre fictions, it is arguable that one has the prowess to create something immensely poignant when you craft a story in the here and now. I have usually been too caught up in the macrocosm of a story to shed tears over the characters that die in the process of reaching the endgame goals. Admittedly, I want my characters and their deaths to evoke emotions in the reader, but sometimes its easier to do that in different manners.

I feel, personally, that Slice of Life pieces with a backbone of plot tend to be skillfully crafted and creators ought to get more credit for their works.

I hope to write more personable pieces of Slice of Life and Realism in the future!

Thank you for reading!
And remember:
Per Ardua Ad Astra!
- Imogen_L_Smiley

No comments:

Post a Comment