Monday 26 March 2018

26/3/18 - Monday Book Reviews - Of Mice And Men

Today, 26/3/18 is the second instalment a series of Monday Book Reviews, expressing my personal opinions on works of fiction. Today, I will be looking upon a piece called 'Of Mice And Men' by John Steinbeck.



Of Mice And Men is one of those classic novels you are made to read in secondary school that you learn to appreciate as time goes on and you grow older. I read the novel in Year Ten, back when I was fifteen years old. So almost five years ago.

As a reader, I was greatly invested within the narrative that would later allow me to exceed my predicted grade for English Literature and impress my tutors! I loved the story and the characters, and found the plot engaging and emersive, something that sells a book to me is that factor alone, so I was very happy to find out that I would be studying such a book at a GCSE level.

As a writer, however, I learned considerably more than I did as a reader. I had been told before reading this novel that Steinbeck was a GOD for descriptive language and I should savour any opportunity to read his works whenever possible, so when I finally got the chance, I was very excited. This story did not disappoint. I learned so much about the application of foreshadowing and symbolism from this text as it was the first piece we ever completely deconstructed to analyse in such detail. I therefore learned a lot of techniques that I would later apply to my own prose in the future, such as the significance of colour symbolism. As "basic" as the instances can be argued to be within this text, I learned greatly from how Steinbeck wrote the character of Curley's Wife.

I absolutely adore this book, and would very much reccomend it to anyone that is considering engaging with a classic piece of literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment