Monday 12 March 2018

12/03/18 - Performing At Derby Uni's International Women's Day Celebration

Several days ago, I had the privilege of being asked by one of my classmates, who happens to be affiliated with the University of Derby Students Union, whether I would like to be one of the female voices speaking up and raising awareness at today's event - Derby Uni's International Women's Day Celebration.

I was asked to go on stage and perform several pieces of spoken word that focussed on women or empowerment in one way, shape or form. I was delighted to be given such an amazing opportunity and spent hours pondering over the choices of pieces I would do. I decided that I would read three poems to fill my ten minute performance slot. 

During the event, I got to watch several of my friends and fellow performers take to the stage and discuss feminsm and issues surrounding such for this event. I was moved by the performances of my former UniSlam teammates, as well as my friends and fellow regulars in the Derby Spoken Word Scene! 

My first piece, Red, was the poem I used to audition for Team Derby for UniSlam 2018, and a poem that I haven't performed since then. Until today. I was incredibly nervous, and excited to share the piece which gained me my place on Team Derby. The poem told the story of how after a break up, a woman associated with only red, was left longing for her former significant other and how she longed to see them again, despite the messy break up. 

The second poem of my triad was called Wildfire, and was one which I wrote for coursework, the piece itself discussed how the speaker was able to idolise a person and how despite their illness and ailment, they managed to continue on making progress and succeding in acheiving their goals. This person was compared to fire through a variety of metaphors. It is a personal favourite of mine. 

The last piece out of the three that I performed was relatively new and discussed women and female empowerment in the context of a romantic relationship. This short piece was entitled You Say He's My Type. This poem discussed not only how daft it can be to categorise people in this manner, but the issue that spans from it. It tells the story of an asexual woman, who is in the process of attempting to stop her friend from setting her up with a mutual acquaintance. It discusses how setting people up with romantic partners does not make you responsible for the impacts that that relationship may have had in the future. It also mentions how unfair it is in society that a women seems to almost require a male to speak on her behalf. 


The above photograph, taken by Emmaberry depicts me reading some of my poetry at the event. I am so grateful for this experience! 

No comments:

Post a Comment