Monday 26 March 2018

26/3/18 - Monday Book Reviews - Poetry Edition - Too Black Too Strong

Today is a very special day! As it has been twelve Mondays since the first post on this blog, it means, it's finally time for the third Poetry Version of Monday Book Reviews!

Today I am reviewing a collection called 'Too Black Too Strong', which was written by Benjamin Zephaniah. I found this collection in my local library in Derby and would like to use this platform to take the opportunity to say that libraries are immensely important to the local community and it is best to take advantage of the resources available to you or otherwise, they may not be for much longer. Libraries across the UK are being closed due to a lack of usage and therefore a lack of funding. This is a heartbreaking reality of life today and I apologise for forcing you to engage with it in this manner but I encourage you, here and now to please, take advantage of these facilities and use your local library!




Now, back to the collection at hand.

This collection, like the title suggests, is very strong and emotive. The pieces within this book are very vocal about black issues and the significance of specific factors in improving and worsening them. The voice, therefore, was easy to hear. When I was reading this collection, I felt as if the words were being spoken aloud to me, it was that prevalent. It was a refreshing experience.

Another standout aspect of this collection is Zephaniah's use of flow and rhythm when telling the stories he wished to within verse. It flowed with ease. I found it very simple to grasp and apply the tempo to the words. I was happy that I could, therefore, read the poems as they were meant to be read as when I read poetry usually, I struggle to understand how it ought to sound, even my own spoken word can do that to me at times. I was glad that it was so easy to apply as it made my reading experience so much more enjoyable.

I would recommend reading this collection. It is very powerful and engaging!


Thank you for reading! See you in two weeks for another instalment of Monday Book Reviews! - Next time, we will be going back to prose! 
And remember:
Per Ardua Ad Astra
-Imogen. L. Smiley

No comments:

Post a Comment