Monday 12 March 2018

12/3/18 - Monday Book Review - Frankenstein

Today, 26/3/18 is the second instalment a series of Monday Book Reviews, expressing my personal opinions on works of fiction. Today, I will be looking upon a piece called Frankenstein by Mary Shelley!

I have always been interested in the classic pieces of Gothic Literature like Frankenstein, Dracula etc. I am so glad I am finally getting the chance to talk about one of these pieces with you!


I was familiar with this particular work of fiction before getting the chance to study it whilst at college. I had watched several film adaptations, my favourite being the 1994 version of this story. I was intrigued to see how the original tale was actually told.

I found it very fun to read and study whilst in English Lit with my friends as it allowed us the opportunity to explore controversial ideas and conduct pedantic and outrageous analysis of the plot-line. We found ourselves coming to the conclusion that there was some overbearing Oedipus complex present through the product of Victor Frankenstein's repressions and transgressions, killing the woman in his life that resembles the woman who rose him. It was great fun! I really enjoyed the experience.

But what did I think of the actual story? I found myself greatly immersed with the concept and found it quite an interesting read - the character of Victor was interesting and easy to dislike, I hope to write a post about Victor sometime in the future! His character's not-so-tragic tragic flaw is his pride, a common one and a flaw that is easy to relate to regardless when the reader reads the book. Being ambitious and prideful are common issues nowadays as they were to Victor Frankenstein.

The structure of the novel was easy to understand, although, it was fascinating to see that the creature and Victor spoke similarly despite being separate from one another for an extended period. It was really interesting, and whether it was a conscious decision made by Shelley made, or not, it is very clever.

I found that the story itself was compelling as it established a contrast between the world that Shelley lived in and how far science has come. Yet at the same time, the piece is timeless as the field that she depicted within her piece is rarely touched upon; reanimation of corpses. Of course we have the defibrillators and we can reattached severed limbs, but we have not attempted to create a brand new being from the mangled body parts of the recently deceased. The premise of such a being causing havoc still has the potential to evoke both horror and terror in the eyes of the readers. It was a clever concept! I really enjoyed it!

Thank you for reading! See you in two weeks for another instalment of Monday Book Reviews! - And because the weeks have overlapped! You're about to get a double wammy! The next post will be a review of poetry collection! I'm so excited! 
And remember:
Per Ardua Ad Astra
-Imogen. L. Smiley

No comments:

Post a Comment