Wednesday 31 January 2018

31/1/18 - Random Monthly Post - Story Dice

Hello everyone! Today marks the end of my first month on this blog and in order to honour the passing of such time, I decided to create a new monthly segment to discuss other random things I have happened across during the month, or answer a question posed to me.

So what is the topic of January's Random Monthly Post? 

Story Dice! - Yes, Story Dice! 

Anybody who knows me outside of the realm of screens would be aware that I am a great fan of Story Dice. My best friend gifted me with my first pack of dice for Christmas two years ago as a Secret Santa gift. Since then I have been hooked on the infinite possibilities that can derive from a roll of the dice. 

I was then gifted with another box of dice, and actively give the dice to friends for birthdays and Christmas' because the idea of accumulating such a vast variety of ideas from such handy tools is something that need not be looked down upon! 

In order to demonstrate my point, I will be showing you a ten-minute freewrite that derived from a roll of the story dice! 

Shelf, Drops, Pull-ups
-_-_-_-
No matter how hard she tried, Tia couldn’t reach her mother’s medicine. The pot of pills was painful for her mother to reach for since the accident but Tia couldn’t wake Dad to fetch them.
She frowned, clambering onto a chair and stretching toward the high shelf.
“Tia, are you ready for school yet?” Her mother called.
Glancing at her pyjama clad body, the young girl sighed. She was nowhere near ready for school. She whined at the injustice of it all and got down, heading to her bedroom to get dressed.
-_-_-_-
Tia hung from the monkey bars in the bottom playground, looking wistfully at the bigger kids who put in very little effort to cross from bar to bar. She needed to get taller so she could get her mother’s medicine. She had to.
-_-_-_-
The next day was filled with shouting. Tia had managed to snag the pills from the high shelf but in doing so she had fallen off the chair and landed funnily, her leg in indescribable pain. Her dad heard her crying and yelled.
Her mum wheeled in and started to cry, seeing the medicine in her young daughter’s hands. She managed to speak through choked out sobs, “I got them down for you Mummy.” 
-_-_-_-

It is actually that easy to come up with a story! This started off with three dice and ended up as a short story about a young carer! It is so cool what can happen with just a roll of a dice! 

Thanks for reading! I hope you will consider purchasing story dice, they are very helpful! 
And remember: 
Per Ardua Ad Astra!
- Imogen. L. Smiley

No comments:

Post a Comment