Monday 29 January 2018

29/1/18 - Monday Book Review - Poetry Edition - The Best Of A Bad Situation

Today is a very special day! As it has been four Mondays since the first post on this blog, which means, it is finally time for the first Poetry Version of Monday Book Reviews!

How befitting that the first Monday after the UniSlam competition, that I have my first poetry-based instalment of Monday Book Reviews!

To honour the UniSlam competition and honour one of my mentors in the process, I have decided that the first collection of poetry that I will be writing a review of will be Jamie Thrasivoulou's The Best of a Bad Situation, a collection of poems that I have seen performed in person and adore reading on the page!


I have been a fan of Jamie's spoken word poetry since September 2016, when I saw him live at the Twisted Tongues Fresher's Special event, my first ever spoken word event. His name was imprinted in my mind, a flashbulb moment cementing that his work was incredibly evocative. His pieces were political and gritty, and as my lecturer would say "to the bone".

His work, on paper and in person gives off such a heavy resonance of Jamie's pressence! His voice is loud and clear with every word in the collection, and when I read the pieces, I could visualise his performance of them. This not only is me ((attempting)) to articulate high praise in terms of his written words, but also the ones he speaks and how he performs. Jamie's work is, in essence, amazing!

Unfortunately, the collection is currently sold out, which sucks because I would totally recommend reading this piece should you be into left poetry! The pieces in there are great!


Thank you for reading! See you in two weeks for another instalment of Monday Book Reviews! - Next time, we will be going back to looking at prose! 
And remember:
Per Ardua Ad Astra
-Imogen. L. Smiley

No comments:

Post a Comment