Friday 15 November 2019

15/11/19 - Favourite Character Praise Friday - Captain Jack Sparrow


Hello and welcome back to Favourite Character Praise Friday! This is one of my absolute favourite posts to write and I hope you enjoy my picking apart of my favourite characters enough to stick around while I examine my next victim, I mean, character. Don’t worry, I do not rank these characters in a particular order, it just so happens that some characters are better worth sharing praise for at a different point in time to others! Remember, every fifth instalment is Least Favourite Character Praise Friday, so keep an eye out for me probing at characters I can’t stand and raving about how well they were written in order to evoke such a reaction.

So, who is the subject of my next Favourite Character Praise Friday?

Captain Jack Sparrow from the Pirates of the Caribbean Franchise!



Warning, the following will contain spoilers about the Pirates of the Caribbean Franchise

When I was a child I absolutely adored watching the first three Pirates of the Caribbean films. I always found Jack Sparrow hilarious because of his sense of humour. With the films having a target audience of kids, I'm not surprised that I found him so funny, but even into adulthood, he is very much a comforting and reliable character.

I found that his brand of humour was even more accessible as I got older, which was one of the main reasons I wanted to talk about him. As a child, it looks more like a matter of pride when he corrects people for not referring to him by his title, when they do not hesitate to refer to Captain Barbossa by his title. However, seeing it as an adult, you realise it's not about pride, it's a matter of respect. Jack is aware that he is a pirate and therefore probably shouldn't expect to be treated with politeness by those who wish to see to see him hang. But the fact they will speak of other pirates like that, would obviously be infuriating. He demands respect even when he's at his lowest, knowing that he had worked hard, despite his shortcomings to become the pirate he is. He, in a way, shows an alternative perspective in knowing your worth as a person, which I think is not a good thing to show kids, but also to show adults that may be accompanying these children. He shows you to demand decency, rise up and cause chaos when disrespected. His attitude may be extreme but it is, in a way, an admirable stance to take.

I also adored Jack Sparrow due to seeing him act impulsively and sporadically. It shows that he came into piracy at a young age and thus never really had a childhood. He takes joy out of things that ought to inspire fear, like fighting with a cutlass or the chase, but in spite of his impulses, his actions tend to be more selfless than what may be seen at a glance. When Jack visits the fountain of youth, he switches the goblet with the mermaid's tear in it, so his lost love Angelica wouldn't die to pass her years onto a man pretending to be her father, feigning care for her, and using her for her youth. Jack noticed this and saves her life, instead of drinking it himself to preserve his own life and mortality. His selfless nature shines through his arguably insane decisions.

Jack Sparrow is also very clever, a trait that tends to be understated, veiled by his humour and the volume of action in the films. Jack was the first person in Dead Men Tell No Takes to mock Hector Barbossa, telling him that he knows about who Carina Smythe actually is, and that she isn't the daughter of a noble explorer as she believes, but a pirate. He works this out relatively quickly after examining the information presented to him: they are both knowledgeable about the stars, both by trade. Her awareness that she was named after that star aids Jack in his conclusion that she is his daughter. Which is, as we later learn, correct. I feel like this aspect of his personality does need more attention by fans but the execution of hi cleverness is quite hard to do. I would love to try and do something like this in the future.

Please, if you have opinions on Captain Jack Sparrow, feel free to share them with me! Don’t forget you can check out my previous Character Praise by looking through the hashtags below.

And remember!

Per Aruda Ad Astra!

No comments:

Post a Comment