Sunday 6 May 2018

6/5/18 - Song Of The Week Sunday!

Song Of The Week Sunday:

Today, 6/5/18, is the day of the next instalment of Song Of The Week Sunday - where I will be sharing a piece of music that I listened to more than any other during the space of the previous. In this instance, from week beginning 30/4/18 and ending today, 6/5/18, the song I listened to the most was the following:

The Nights by Avicii
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtF6Jej8yb4

I decided that I would allocate SOTW to my favourite song by Avicii after the word got out about his cause of death. It was so sad to hear that yet another face in the public eye lost their life due to suicide. I was greatly moved by many songs by Avicii but this one took the cake.

Before I continue to discuss this, I would like to inform you that I am a content creator that has both personally dealt with mental health issues and supported friends with similar problems. Not only that, but I write a lot of pieces to raise awareness of mental health and suicide. A prominent example is my UniSlam solo which can be found here (<- Video Cred to Tyrone Lewis / Process Productions) So yes, I am not some preachy sad fan whining about how they might deem an artist's suicide as selfish or something - not in the slightest.

As someone who has experienced the sensation of wanting to die, I have to acknowledge the significance of music and how important it was personally to me keeping my head above water. The Nights by Avicii was one of those songs which kept me grounded. It reminded me of some of the lessons people who have passed had taught me. The song reminded me that there were things out there in the big wide world worth living for. There are things in the big wide world worth living for!

I chose to allocate this song as SOTW to honour the memory of such a talented artist. This was because I was greatly saddened when I heard about Avicii's passing. However, he lived a life that touched the lives of millions of fans, including some of my friends. It was saddening to see one of my friends pay homage to one of his favourite artists after he lost the battle against his mind, as my friend also struggled with suicidal ideation which derived from his depression.

And so, I felt it would be appropriate to share a few lines of this weeks SOTW to highlight what I meant by honouring him and the messages he gave his fans via music.

He said one day 
You'll leave this world behind
So live a life you will remember
My father told me when I was just a child
These are the nights that never die 
My father told me 

May he rest in peace. He will not be forgotten. When the creatives fall, their words remain, after all.

Thank you for reading! I am sorry for such a sappy post and tribute to Avicii.
And remember:
Per Ardua Ad Astra!
- Imogen. L. Smiley

No comments:

Post a Comment