Monday 21 May 2018

21/5/18 - Monday Book Review! - Small Things

Today, 21/5/18 is the next instalment in a series of Monday Book Reviews, expressing my personal opinions on works of fiction. Today, I will be looking upon a piece called 'Small Things' by Mell Tregonning!



This book was a gift to me from my mother for my 20th birthday. I was really intrigued by it as she said this book would help me with coursework for a module in which I was discussing mental health. It confused me greatly that my mother could speak so highly of the portrayal, especially considering that the book was wordless. But I relented and gave the book a read. Yes, you can count it as reading as the book relied heavily on inference.

The story itself was about a young boy and how his mental health was being impacted by stimuli that surrounded him. The boy could see how he was being worn away at by what surrounded him, but not anyone else. This is an accurate representation as to how nobody can truly understand another's mental state and that stimuli can impact different people at significantly different levels.

I adored this book as, without words, it seemed to portray one of the easiest to access and understand ideas of mental health that I have ever seen. It is, therefore, a book that I hold in immensely high esteem. I am grateful for the opportunity to read it and hope to use it as a resource for many future writing projects.

Thank you so much for reading!
And remember:
Per Ardua Ad Astra!
- Imogen. L. Smiley

No comments:

Post a Comment