Monday 26 February 2018

26/2/18 - Monday Book Review - Poetry Edition - Killing The Black Dog

Today is a very special day! As it has been eight Mondays since the first post on this blog, it means, it's finally time for the second Poetry Version of Monday Book Reviews!

Today, I will be looking at Les Murray's Killing The Black Dog! I was introduced to this collection on the recommendation of one of my lecturers last semester. A classmate of mine lent it to me during the latter end of the previous semester and I figured it was worth reviewing! 




Killing The Black Dog is a collection of poetry which discusses depression and how it impacts the sufferer. In this book, the pieces which refer to "the black dog" are discussing depression directly. I found the idea of establishing a prominent metaphor interesting and helpful when conducting analysis of individual pieces which I could use for my portfolio at the end of the previous semester.

As someone who does not suffer from depression, I was hesitant when reading this collection, afraid that I would not be able to completely grasp the motifs behind each piece in the book. But I did in fact manage to comprehend the imagery and the depth of the pieces produced, despite not having experienced depression first-hand.

I felt that the voice of this collection was heavy and upfront and I really enjoyed reading the collection itself! It was very interesting! I would totally recommend giving this a shot!

Thank you for reading! See you in two weeks for another instalment of Monday Book Reviews! - Next time, we will be going back to prose! 
And remember:
Per Ardua Ad Astra
-Imogen. L. Smiley

No comments:

Post a Comment