Sunday 25 February 2018

25/2/18 - Song Of The Week Sunday!

Song Of The Week Sunday:

Today, 25/2/18, is the day of the next instalment of Song Of The Week Sunday - where I will be sharing a piece of music that I listened to more than any other during the space of the previous. In this instance, from week beginning 19/1/18 and ending today, 25/2/18, the song I listened to the most was the following:

Words Fail from Dear Evan Hansen!
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKP9UdIcXFk

This song is one that I happened upon during my ventures in the Musical Theatre side of YouTube in a bid to find lyrics I could analyse for a project I am producing on mental health. This song, Hell, this MUSICAL provided me with everything I possibly needed! I was delighted to have such access.

This song in particular is the song equivalent of a soliloquy, in which Evan discusses his actions with himself, and the audience. The use of metaphors are beautfiul, I particularly adore the one about "slamming on the breaks before [Evan had] even turn[ed] the key". I felt like that image proved to be fruitful for explaining living with social anxiety! And it was a repeated image from an earlier song, 'Waving Through A Window', in which Evan's central conflict with being social is introduced explicitly. The fact that the epitome of the consequences of his actions due to this internal conflict is being conveyed through the same image was immesely powerful!

Kudos to the singer, Ben Platt for the level of emotions conveyed in this piece! It really resonated with me as a listener!


Thank you for reading
And remember:
Per Ardua Ad Astra!


- Imogen. L. Smiley

No comments:

Post a Comment