Tuesday 24 March 2020

24/3/20 - Happy Tuesday! University Inspired Writing Prompt!

Today, 24/3/20, is the next instalment of University Inspired Writing Prompts. Since my first year at university, I have been compiling a collection of writing prompts inspired by my time studying in Derby. I hope that these prompts help you create your own works!

All of these prompts are dialogue based, and are inspired by real conversations I have been part of whilst at university.

PROMPT #48:

"Why is your house full of flamingos?"

This was a question posed by a new friend upon visiting my house during the second year I was at university. Due to them not being very close with me at the time, they were, in no way, familiar with the characters from my stories or the inside jokes which had ensued consequently. For example, my character Floyd Daniels from the Neon Series, was known under the username Mr FlaminGO, which was a reference to the bright pink dye he had put on his hair before he was arrested for a crime he didn't commit at the start of the series. The joke about flamingos, and my favouritism toward him meant I was often gifted home-ware with a flamingo motif, from candles, to mugs, to garden ornaments.

During my second year, a garden flamingo whom we'd named Floyd in my character's honour, had been placed beside the fireplace, as a nod to an inside joke about him being set on fire. However, with my friend not knowing any of this information, they came in and just saw a living room filled with flamingo stuff. It was very funny to me and my housemates, who were all in on the joke. 

I hope that this prompt inspired something, even if it was just a smile! Feel free to check out my previous prompts by looking through the hashtags below! 

Thank you so much for reading!

And remember! 

Per Ardua Ad Astra!

- Imogen. L. Smiley

No comments:

Post a Comment